Configuring your self-managed Jira connection
This article explains how to configure a self-managed server Jira connection used to create tasks in Jira from the Siteimprove platform. This process requires configuration on both the Siteimprove platform and your Jira platform.
- Admins/Account Owners are able to manage the JIRA settings from the Integrations menu.
- The default user role in the Siteimprove platform cannot manage the JIRA connection settings but can create/manage Jira issues. To do so a Jira connection and Jira user (marked as shared) should be created by an Admin/Account owner.
- After you set up the connection you must Configure Jira task templates.
- This integration currently supports only Company-managed software (Classic) and not Team-managed software (Next-gen) Jira project types.
- Siteimprove is happy to help with questions regarding configuring the integration. Siteimprove does not provide support or product help for the third-party software with which you are connecting.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- To be carried out on the Siteimprove platform
- To be carried out on your Jira platform
- Completing the connection on the Siteimprove platform
- Configuring Jira task templates
To be carried out on the Siteimprove platform
- Go to Integrations > Task Management > Connections
- Select "Connect to Jira" (or "Add new Jira connection" for an additional connection).
- Select “Self-managed sever” to open the Create connection modal.
- Enter the “Connection name”. This can be whatever name you choose to identify the connection.
- Enter the base URL of your JIRA instance. e.g. https://example.atlassian.net
- You are presented with a “Consumer Key” and a “Public key”.
- If you are a Jira administrator, then keep this modal browser tab opened. You will need to use these values later in this configuration.
- If you are not a Jira administrator, then please pass both these values to your Jira administrator along with the instructions below on configuring the Jira side of the connection.
To be carried out on your Jira platform
Note: To make the connection you will need to have the “Consumer Key” and “Public key” values from the Siteimprove side of the connection. See instructions above. These values are available under options on the Jira connections table in the Siteimprove platform. i.e. Integrations > Task Management > Connections > Jira Connections.
- Allow the following Siteimprove IPs addresses if your Jira installation is behind a firewall:
- my2.siteimprove.com (126.96.36.199)
- id.siteimprove.com (188.8.131.52)
- connectors.siteimprove.systems (184.108.40.206)
- Setup a Jira user for the Siteimprove integration. Note the Jira username and email for later use in this setup.
Note: When setting up the Jira user to be used for the Jira connection we recommend that you create a generic Jira user (i.e. not tied to an actual person). You could name it something like 'siteimprove_integration,' and give that Jira user permission to create/read in the relevant projects within your Jira instance. Please ensure this user is assigned to a Company-managed software (Classic) project type. This integration currently supports only Company-managed software (Classic) and not Team-managed software (Next-gen) Jira project types.
- Go to Jira administration (i.e. the cog on the top right of the menu) and then click on Applications. You may need to confirm your password.
- Click on "Application links" on the left menu.
- Enter the URL of the integration. i.e. https://my2.siteimprove.com.
- Click on “Create a new link”.
- Click on “Continue”. You can ignore the warning that says, “No response from the URL". This error is expected and occurs as we are configuring a non-Jira Application.
- On the Link application form enter an application name of your choice, e.g. Siteimprove.
- Under Application Type, select “Generic Application”. The other fields should remain empty.
- Click on “Continue”. Select the edit icon under actions to the right of your new Application name.
- Click on “Incoming Authentication” on the left menu.
- Copy the “Consumer Key” and “Public Key” from the Siteimprove create connection modal which you opened in another tab. These values are also available under options on the Jira connections table in the Siteimprove platform. i.e. Integrations > Task Management > Connections > Jira Connections.
- Enter a “Consumer name” of your choice used to identify the Siteimprove application in Jira.
- Check the box to “Allow 2-Legged OAuth”.
- In the “Execute as” field enter the generic Jira username mentioned in the note in Step 1. All Jira tasks created via this integration will be created with the username.
- Check the box to “Allow user impersonation through 2-Legged OAuth”.
- Click on “Save”.
Completing the connection on the Siteimprove platform
- Go back to your Jira Create connection modal in the other tab and click on “Link to Jira”, or click on “Verify connection” on the connections table if the modal is closed.
- If the connection is successfully implemented, you will see a message, “Connection added”. If the connection fails please recheck/configure the connection settings in Jira.
Configuring Jira task templates
Once you have set up the Jira connection, you will need to configure the Jira Projects and Issue Types (Bugs, Tasks, Epics, Story, Sub-task, etc). This is so that they can be available to create Jiras via the Siteimprove platform.
If this is not set up, then the fields for the projects you want to add Jira’s for will not be visible when creating Jiras. For more details see this article: “How to map and configure fields in a work item/task template.”
Once this has been configured users can start to create Jiras. Read more on this in the article "How to create Jiras from within the Siteimprove Intelligence Platform".
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback