Siteimprove Accessibility Checker - Chrome Extension
Modified on: Mon, 20 Sep, 2021 at 1:40 PM
The Siteimprove Accessibility Checker is a free tool available as a Browser Extension to check any webpage for accessibility issues at any given time. The Siteimprove Accessibility Checker uses the same checking engine as the Siteimprove Accessibility platform product. It provides:
- An immediate overview of your page's accessibility issues
- Location of where the issue appears on the page
- Clear explanation of how they affect your users
- Code examples
- Specific recommendation on how to fix issues, including links to the relevant WCAG techniques
All analysis is done entirely within the browser, allowing secure evaluation of password-protected or non-public pages, multi-step forms, and dynamic content.
Note: The Siteimprove Accessibility extension can be used on HTML web page content. It is not possible to check PDF content with this extension.
This article covers the following topics:
- I'm already a Siteimprove Accessibility customer, how can I benefit from using the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker?
- How do I install the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker?
- How do I use the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker?
I'm already a Siteimprove Accessibility customer, how can I benefit from using the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker?
- Check pages directly in your browser without giving anyone access to the content of the tested page (e.g. during development)
- Check pages that require a login (e.g. intranets or other firewall-protected pages) on the fly, anytime
- Check page stages and content that is only activated on user input (e.g. multi-step forms)
How do I install the Siteimprove Accessibility browser extension?
- Install the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker extension from the browser webshop of your favorite browser
- Add the Siteimprove Accessibility browser extension (Chrome example)
- Approve the terms and conditions of the extension.
- You will then be able to find the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker icon in your browser menu bar.
How do I use the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker?
- Visit the web page you'd like to check.
- Click on the Siteimprove Accessibility Checker icon in your browser window.
- You are presented with two tabs in the Accessibility browser extension:
- Issues: The Issues tab lists the accessibility issues found on the page. You can also filter by type of issue. When you select an issue you can then expand the occurrences of that issue with more information including code examples showing how to resolve it. The issue locations are highlighted on the page when possible.
- Explorer: The Explorer tab allows users to explore a range of vision impairments on any webpage using filters. This gives a better understanding of the consequences of having an inaccessible site.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback